Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Curious Case of Brown Sugar Cookies


My baking adventure this week again took me into the late hours of the night, so I am posting another day-old entry. Please forgive me. Next time I will try to manage my time more efficiently... who am I kidding? Of course that won't happen!

Onto the cookies - this week it was Brown Sugar Cookies. I have to admit, I wasn't that excited for this one because it sounded a little boring. BC called this one of the most "versatile" doughs tested, which was a little intriguing, but the ingredients were just so basic that I had my doubts that they could be that tempting. Happily, I can report that my lack of faith was unjustified! I say this based on the reaction I received from my coworkers, who managed to polish off the entire container I brought with me in a matter of a few hours.

As for the cookie making itself, it was pretty easy. No exotic (or mess-inducing) methods were employed, other than the 1 hour required chill time. My big excitement this week was that I was able to utilize my new teaspoon size ice-cream scooper thingy. I already had a larger one, but since most of these recipes have been calling for "rounded teaspoon" sized drops, I wanted to find one that met that need, as I've grown tired of using my actual teaspoon and mini spatula to scoop out each cookie. All I can say is, thank goodness for Williams Sonoma and their endless supply of kitchen gadgetry.

These cookies turned out to be a little different than I expected. Up until now, the drop cookies have come out rather thick and cake-y. However, these surprising little yummies baked out quite flat, as you will see in the picture. If I had to compare them to anything, I would say that they taste like a cross between a Snickerdoodle and a sugar cookie - very moist, yet not overpowering. Definitely one that I would endeavor to recreate (upon request).

So... my next cookie has me a little scared. The name should enlighten you as to the source of my fear - Pineapple Cookies. These call for actual pineapple, and given my general distrust of cookies with fruit, I'm not sure I will personally be able to consume them. However, if this week is any indication, I may be pleasantly surprised, so I will attempt to keep an open mind. Perhaps the tropical fruit will bring to mind warmer climates, which would certainly be helpful in the middle of the winter doldrums!

No comments:

Post a Comment